Somaliland opposition coalition which consists of the MADASHA, Somaliland National consultation and rehabilitation forum and the two opposition parties of Waddani and UCID have announced on 21st July 2015 to convene a National Conference which will be held in Hargeisa, the capital Of Somaliland on 23rd, 25th and 26th July. The purpose of this Conference is to discuss the current political situation of the country consisting of following four main issues:-
1) The expired mandate of the president Silanyo who was elected on 26/06/2010 for a five year term and was inaugurated on 27/07/2010
2 ) President Silanyo’s inability to announce a polling date for the delayed presidential and parliamentary elections.
3) President Silanyo’s betrayal and insincerity of the three political parties’ agreement and the Vice President .
4) President Silanyo’s double-dealing and colluding with the House Of Elders’ illegal extension of the terms of president and Parliament.
The ruling family’s response to the National conference was threat, intimidation and mobilisation of security forces in order to silence the opposition and stop them to convene any gathering. Such desperate actions by the illegitimate government is a direct contravention of Somaliland’s constitution and a breach of article 32 ( clauses 1 and 2), which gives Somaliland Citizens, Freedoms Of Public Demonstration, and express of opinion.
- Every citizen shall have the freedom, in accordance with the law, to express his opinion orally, visually, artistically or in writing or any other way.
- Every citizen shall have the freedom, in accordance with the law, to organise or participate in any peaceful assembly or demonstration.
The ruling family are beating the drums of war in order to cling on power in any cost and as long as they can, using the security forces. Somaliland is sailing on a sinking ship without a captain or president and without a navigator or Vice President. Surely, this ship will sink soon if the SOS signal is not picked up urgently and rescued by the friends of Somaliland and the free world.
The author is Abdirahman Mohamed Jama ( Awxoog)
Somaliland Member Of Parliament , House Of Representatives