Kulmiye & UCID Reach A Deal Over Elections & NEC
The ruling party of Somaliland, Kulmiye and the opposition party of UCID
have reached an agreement over the proposed parliamentary and local elections scheduled for December 2019.
According a joint communiqueissued today, Tuesday, April 23rd, 2019, the two parties agreed on the following points.
1. That the scheduledparliamentary and local elections take place on December 2019.
2. That the Somaliland National Elections Commission, (NEC) begin the necessary work to prepare for the elections.
3. That on 1st of August 2019, a new Commission should be selected, consisting of seven members. Both the current and new Commission will work together in a training and assisting capacity, although, the current Commission will be responsible for organizing and holding the elections.
4. That the new Commission should be expanded to nine members, with the addition of two new members at a date to be determined after the 1st of August, 2019.
5. That Kulmiye and UCID call for all Somaliland political parties to participate in the elections and work together for the good of the country.
6. That a new Monitoring Group be created consisting of members from the donor nations and a select group from Somaliland’s civil, academic and legal sector. That the donor nations proceed with the funding for the elections, and that the NEC issue the timetable for voter registration, campaign dates, technical facilities and other matters pertaining to holding the elections.
Finally, the two parties stated in their agreement, their commitment to the democratic institutions of Somaliland.
It is not clear, what the response will be from Somaliland’s main oppositionparty, Waddani, who had steadfastly refused to accept the holding of any further elections by the current NEC.